Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fish tacos

This recipe is sure to knock your socks off! It's yet another that I got from Katherine and I am so excited about this recipe! My friend Melissa got me started on some fish tacos at our favorite restaurant in town called Ryan's Station and I've been wanting them again and again since the first time I had them! They are amazing...well we're all in luck because this recipe, too, is amazing! Brandon took a bite and told me I had to add this to my blog. That's always a good sign! :) Now I just need to get him to go with me to try the "real" thing at Ryan's Station! The best thing about these tacos is that the fish is battered and deep fried. That makes all the difference in the world! One more thing I must add: I am a terrible picture taker! But I'm a believer in having pictures of my food on here because I know from myself that I am more likely to make a recipe if it has a picture, so please ignore the quality of the picture!

Fish Tacos with Lime Mayonnaise

batter for frying the fish (I think this would also be delicious with my grandma's beer batter):
2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup or more cold water
4 tsp salt (I really think you could use less than this, I personally thought it was a little too salty, but Brandon thought it was fine)
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs, separated
1 or more lbs. of filleted fish
oil for frying

Soak fish in salted water for 25 minutes (mine was still frozen at this point but the water thawed it out perfectly). Whisk 2 egg yolks and stir in flour, cold water, salt & oil. Mix all together. Beat 2 egg whites until stiff, fold into flour mixture. Cut fish into small pieces. First dip fish into flour then into batter, then into flour again, then into batter. Fry in oil until golden brown.

for the rest of the tacos:
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped (I only used half because red onions can be really strong)
1 avocado, diced
4 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 lime, juice & zest (finely grated)
lettuce shredded
cilantro (optional, we didn't use this)
corn tortillas

I made the mayonnaise first, while the fish was soaking in the salt water, so the flavors had time to blend. Mix together mayonnaise & lime juice & zest, set aside. (I think next time I will double the lime mayonnaise because I came up short and had to make more for our leftovers.)
Mix together the tomatoes, onion & avocado.
"Cook" the corn tortillas in some oil real quick to soften up so it's easier to fold without falling apart, then fill it up with the fried fish, drizzle with lime mayonnaise, sprinkle on some of the "salsa" (tomato mixture) and some lettuce. Then ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment