I got this recipe from Top Secret Recipes because my husband and I LOVE Taco Bell's chicken quesadillas! The sauce is what really makes this recipe and it tastes nearly identical to the original. Please try this recipe!! It's a little spicy but honestly the ingredients make it look spicier than they really are. We usually eat this as a main dish but I suppose it could be an appetizer too.
Taco Bell Chicken Quesadilla
Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp minced jalapeno slices (nacho slices)
2 tsp juice from jalapeno slices (nacho slices)
3/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
4 chicken breast tenderloins
4 large flour tortillas (10-inch)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
2 slices American cheese
1. Prepare creamy jalapeno sauce by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and chill so that flavors develop. Stir occasionally. (We like extra sauce so I usually 1 1/2 the recipe).
2. Preheat grill or pan to medium heat.
3. Rub chicken tenderloins with vegetable oil. Salt and pepper each side of each tenderloin. Grill for 3 to 5 minutes per side. When chicken is done, slice it very thin. (I usually cut my chicken into pieces before cooking. I don't really know what is easier or better though.)
4. When you are ready to build your quesadillas, preheat a 12-inch skillet over medium low heat.
5. When the pan is hot lay one tortilla in the pan. Arrange about 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of shredded jack cheese on half of the tortilla. Tear up half a slice of American cheese and arrange it on the other cheeses.
6. Arrange about a 1/4 cup of sliced chicken over the cheese.
7. Spread about 1 tablespoon (we like a little extra sauce) jalapeno sauce over the tortilla on the half with no ingredients on it.
8. Fold the sauce-covered half of the tortilla over onto the ingredients on the other half and press down with a spatula. Cook for about 1 minute, then turn the quesadilla over and cook for a couple more minutes or until the cheese inside is melted. Slice into four pieces and serve hot. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.