Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Cherry-Lemon Scones

I absolutely love scones! There is this place in town that makes the best scones but all the workers there seem to have awful attitudes so I don't like to go in there very often and "support" them. I have tried a few different scone recipes at home and none seem to compare, well, that was until I made this recipe I found over on Katherine's blog. She really seemed to have a lot of fun with it and made several different variations. The first time I made the recipe about a year ago I decided to experiment without trying the original recipe and boy did I do a terrible job! But I could tell that this was a good recipe and that it was just me making a mistake on flavors so I pulled it out an tried again this time doing the original recipe and let me tell you, it's amazing!! I will be making these again and again!! I had planned on taking these to treat day at work tomorrow but now I'm thinking twice about it. I may end up taking the guacamole that I made instead. I'm loving these scones!!

Cherry-Lemon Scones

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold & cut into pieces
1/2 cup dried cherries (I used cherry flavored Craisins)
zest of 2 lemons
2/3 cup buttermilk

glaze for scones:
juice of half a lemon
powdered sugar
vanilla extract

Mix dry ingredients in food processor. Add diced butter and pulse until butter is the size of peas. Add lemon zest and cherries and pulse 2 or 3 more times. Add buttermilk all at once and process until dough comes together. Pat dough on a floured surface into a circle that is about 7 inches round and about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut into circles or half-moons. I like to cut mine like a pizza into 8 triangles. I'm always surprised by how small my triangles look but as they bake they really do grow to a more "natural" size. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and brush with lemon glaze.

1 comment:

  1. I think the correct thing to do here with this recipe is to let your mama try them out to see if they really are that yummy...hmmm...whaddya say?...are you bringing some over?

    ReplyDelete