Sunday, December 28, 2008

Chocolate-Caramel Candy

The most amazing candy you'll ever eat! At least that's what I think! It's very similar to a Snickers except that I always omit the peanuts. Not because I don't like them but because I just don't usually have them on hand and I'm too cheap to buy some when I know full well that this candy is perfectly delicious without them. I got the recipe from a Taste of Home Annual cookbook from 1999. There are a lot of steps involved but don't let that intimidate you because they are all very easy steps. I always use the same pan too so I'm not dirtying a ton of dishes. I rinse my pan out between the first and second layer but after that I use the same pan without rinsing and it turns out fine every time.

Chocolate-Caramel Candy
1 cup (6 oz) milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
filling:
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups marshmallow cream
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups chopped salted peanuts
caramel layer:
1 pkg (14 oz) caramels
1/4 cup whipping cream
icing:
1 cup (6 oz) milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

1. Line 9x13 pan with foil; butter and set aside.
2. Combine the first three ingredients in a small saucpan (I always use a double boiler because I am terrible at melting chocolate any other way); stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Spread into prepared pan. Chill until set. (There is chilling time between each layer. I find that the time it takes to prepare each layer is plenty of chilling time.)
3. For filling, melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and milk; bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; boil and stir for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in marshmallow cream, peanut butter and vanilla. Add peanuts. Spread over first layer. Chill while making next layer.
4. Combine caramels and cream in saucepan; stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Cook and stir 4 minutes longer. Spread over filling. Chill while making next layer.
5. In another saucepan, combine chips and peanut butter; stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Pour over caramel layer. Chill for at least 4 hours.
6. Remove from the fridge/freezer 20 minutes before cutting. Remove from pan; cut into 1-inch squares.
Yield: about 8 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment