Sunday, December 28, 2008

Peppermint Dessert

I made this recipe for Christmas this year and it was a hit! I found the recipe on Katherine's blog (I find so many recipes on her blog that are amazing!) about a year ago and finally got around to making it and boy am I (and my husband & his family) glad I did! If you like peppermint, you'll love this dessert. My dad doesn't like peppermint and suggested making this with any other flavor ice cream and I think that would taste great too.

Peppermint Dessert

crust:
2 cups crushed chocolate wafers or Oreos
5 Tbsp butter, softened
first layer:
1 half-gallon peppermint ice cream, softened slightly (I just let it sit out while I made the crust)
second layer:
2 1-oz squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
3 egg whites

1. Combine wafer crumbs and butter (I used my food processor to grind up the Oreos then I just added the butter and everything mixed up reallly well); reserve 1/4 cup for topping (I skipped this step just like Katherine does and used all the crumbs for the crust). Press into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
2. Spread ice cream over and freeze while making the second layer. (Careful when spreading the ice cream on the top because when I did this I shifted my bottom layer around; I think my ice cream hadn't quite softened up enough).
3. In a double boiler melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat and gradually add beaten egg yolks, stirring continuously. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and nuts. Mix together and cool thoroughly. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into cooled chocolate mixture.
4. Spread over ice cream layer, sprinkle with reserved crumbs and freeze. Allow to soften slightly before cutting into squares and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment